Work Equipment PUWER Inspection Services
Equipment used at work is subject to ongoing thorough examination and, where appropriate, inspections, in order to adhere to the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER).
PUWER Inspection Services
At ISI, our PUWER inspection services provide your company with the necessary certifications to allow you to operate your work equipment safely and legally, and in order to adhere to the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER Regs or PUWER 98 Regulations).
We will manage the PUWER inspection schedule for you and will let you know well in advance when inspections are due. The level of inspection required, and the competency of the inspecting person, depends on the complexity of the machine.
ISI provides PUWER Inspections and Safety Assessments, resulting in a written report or certificate to show that your machines and any associated guarding systems are suitable, regulation compliant – and ultimately that the equipment is safe to use.
More benefits of choosing our professional service include:
- Equipment survey to identify assessment and inspection requirements (for an agreed fee).
- No-obligation quote for the identified PUWER equipment and machinery inspection requirements.
- Inspection Service contract and schedule.
- PUWER assessment and inspection by friendly, qualified engineers, by appointment.
- Free impartial advice by phone.
- Immediate feedback should any serious issues be identified.
- Summary and review of any queries arising from the PUWER inspection, at the end of the visit.
- Written reports by email or via our online reporting system.
- ISI will manage the plant and machinery inspection schedule for you and let you know well in advance when inspections are due.
What Does Work Equipment Include?
A thorough examination by a competent person must be performed on all high-risk work equipment under PUWER regs. Lower-risk and simple work equipment items can be inspected in-house by your own competent staff, providing they have the necessary competency.
Generally, any equipment which is used by an employee at work is covered. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Vertical Doors
- Dock Leveller Systems
- Drilling machines
- Power presses
- Circular saws
- Lifting equipment (including lifts)
- Dumper trucks
- Motor vehicle
Similarly, if you allow employees to provide their own equipment, it too will be covered by PUWER, and you will need to make sure it complies.
Work equipment must have met all the requirements of the Regulations from 5 December 1998. However, requirements relating to certain aspects of mobile work equipment (see below) did not apply to such equipment (provided for use in the business before 5 December 1998) until 5 December 2002. Read the HSE information sheet MISC156 if you use hired mobile work equipment.
Examples of uses of equipment which are covered by the Regulations include starting or stopping the equipment, maintaining, servicing, repairing, modifying, cleaning, and transporting.
You can find a full list of items requiring PUWER inspection services on our Equipment Safety Checklist page.